Sunday, October 4, 2009

The short story, "Writing About General Apache," seems like a very pointless reflection piece. Obviously it covers a story about someone's experience but it doesn't seem like something that matters to a lot of people. It's more of an expression piece that the author produced. However, the one thing that the author leads to is that he becomes a better writer when he learns what stimulates his students. In other words, once he understands his students, he can write about them with a better quality. This article does a decent job on setting the scene and descriptions of events, but in relating it to the reader is where it lacks. Besides the one sentence claiming how the author writes quality work after understanding his student, it becomes a so what sentence. I want to know what happens before, during, and after the process, not just some little quick story to tide the reader over. I want details on what the author was going through and what he thought his student was going through. Then talk about how he was right or wrong, or if his view of the student, writing or anything else changed.

"Simplicity" is a hypocritical article. It claims that writers write in a confusing manner. It tells of how authors use big words that confuse the reader. According to the article we need to simplify our writing, bold words for an article that also struggles with long drawn out sentences and big vocabulary. A better article might be the words, "We write too much. We need to take out unnecessary aspects that impede the topic." I just summed up an entire article on simplicity in two sentences. That's the type of writing that should be done according to the article. It has great examples to back up its thesis, but no practice. The author even states that the reader may be too lazy to finish. An improvement would be to have one concise paragraph about the readers habits and continue on to why it's important to write with simplicity. This article was meant for writers in the first place, not for readers.

4 comments:

  1. I find your responses to be really opposite of what I was thinking. I loved the story about he lived and breathed the man and tied him up in such a short poem. He did give a little taste of before and what he thought of the poem but I agree about wondering about a longer timeline. For a short story I thought it got to the point and didn't go on about things that didn't really add up to the poem. Do you think if he changed some things it would be better? What would you personally add or subtract from the piece?

    I also agree that the piece seemed really ironic to simplify writing but droned on and on with different examples and points. I personally am horrible with keeping my thoughts together and not making myself sound smarter but adding unnecessary words. It would be funny to have the whole piece be only two sentences but would that really get the point across? Or would people want more explanation? Like Goldie Locks and the Three Bears… just the right amount of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The General Apache story showed a piece of literature that is not always seen to general public, a poem about a man who survived Vietnam and the struggles of life after that to me caught my eye more than anything else, but true it was hard to make a connection to the reader.

    I totally agree with you on the piece simplicity.It gave examples that supported very well but had no practice. It feels like every reader or writer says we are to lazy to read longer then 30 seconds or cant finish a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I have to go back and read "Simplicity" again, because if the writer did not practice what he preached, I didn't notice! When I read it, I thought it was succinct enough and I agreed with his assertions-- but then again, I already agreed before I even started reading.

    It's refreshing to read an opposing view, and makes me want to look again to see if I can agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to me the perceptions you had of the General Apache piece. I too found it pointless as a reflection and even forgot after reading the first sentence that it was about a writer and his work. From the way he talked about his teaching and his students I thought it was about his role as teacher and wondered what he had taught his students. Now I just see more clearly that he ventured far from the point
    As for simplicity while I didn't find hypocritical in its presentation and felt it was pretty easy to follow. I did however find your awreness of the fact it was written for writers very keen. I will agree with becca that making it too short would be a problem but your point is also taken that it could have been simplified to demonstrate the point he was making

    ReplyDelete